09.12.2019 at 18:19:20    

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Pages: 1
Viesturs Baumanis (Read 15893 times)
Viesturs Baumanis
16.03.2007 at 15:55:51

Group of Molecular Microbiology

The group has been organised in 1997 when molecular studies of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Borrelia burgdorferi were started.  

Viesturs Baumanis, Prof, Dr.habil.
Head of Dept., team leader
Biomedical Research and Study Centre
University of Latvia
1 Ratsupites Riga, LV – 1067
LATVIA

Phone: +371-67808219
Mobile: +371-26539843
Fax: +371-67442407
E mail: viesturs@biomed.lu.lv

M.tuberculosis:
The presence of M.tuberculosis fragments insertion sequence IS6110 was investigated by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in clinical material. Then methods of molecular typing were applied to susceptible and especially to multi-drug resistant (MDR) isolates. By restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of PvuII cleaved restriction fragments, spoligotyping, mixed linker PCR, the high prevalence of so called Beijing Mycobacteria genotype was found among MDR isolates. Localisation of drug resistance determining mutations among rifampin, isoniazid, pyrazinamide, ethambuthol, streptomycin is being performed. At the present time more detailed analysis of HIV positive tuberculosis patients is studied and possible epidemiological links, development of mycobacteria by molecular methods analysed. Studies on the immunological status of patient on development of infectious process, possible role of human genetic factors have been recently started.

Projects

1992- present – several Projects of Latvian Council of Science, Research project of University of Latvia  
1999-2003 EC Inco Copernicus
2004-2009 EC ERANET – PathoGenoMics
2004-2006 EC EDEN – Tick-Borne Disease subproject

Key publications:

1.      Tracevska T., Baumanis V., Jansone I., Broka L., Marga O. Evaluation of gene mutations leading to drug resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Latvia.  Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 2002,v.40,3789-3792  

2.      Baumanis V. , Jansone I., Broka L., Nodieva A., Bratkovskis M., Tracevska T. Evaluation of the insertion sequence-6110-based polymerase chain reaction for detection of pathogenic mycobacteria. Acta Universitatis Latviensis, 2003, vol.662,17-24

3.      Tracevska T., Jansone I., Baumanis V., Marga O., Lillebaek T. Prevalence of Beijing genotype in Latvian multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis  isolates. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2003, v.7, Nr.11, 1097-1103

4.      Tracevska T., Jansone I., Nodieva A., Marga O., Skenders G.,  Baumanis V. The spectrum of mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis associated with resistance to streptomycin, ethambutol and pyrazinamide. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 2004, v.48, 3209-3210

5.      Tracevska T., Jansone I., Nodieva A., Marga O., Skenders G.,  Baumanis V. Characterization of rpsL, rrs and embB mutations associated with streptomycin and ethambutol resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Research in Microbiology, 2004, v.155, 830-834

Team

Inta Jansone PhD

Tatjana Tracevska PhD

Vilnis Skipars M.Sci.

Matiss Bauskenieks,  M.Sci.

Agrita Puzuka, M.Sci.

Anda Nodieva  PhD student, State Agency of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease of Latvia

Girts Skenders, Head of bacteriological laboratory ,State Agency of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease of Latvia

Human genetics:

Liana Pliss, PhD student

Liga Timsha, M.Sci.  

Agrita Puzuka PhD student

Astrida Krumina Prof., Riga Stradins University

Key publications

1.      Pronina N., Pliss L., Krumina A., Baumanis V., Lazdins M. Mitochondrial DNA in population studies. Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, 2003, vol.57,p.199-209.

2.      Tambets K, Rootsi S, Kivisild T, Help H, Serk P, Loogvali EL, Tolk HV, Reidla M, Metspalu E, Pliss L, Balanovsky O, Pshenichnov A, Balanovska E, Gubina M, Zhadanov S, Osipova L, Damba L, Voevoda M, Kutuev I, Bermisheva M, Khusnutdinova E, Gusar V, Grechanina E, Parik J, Pennarun E, Richard C, Chaventre, A, Moisan JP, Barac L, Pericic M, Rudan P, Terzic R, Mikerezi I, Krumina A, Baumanis V, Koziel S, Rickards O, De Stefano GF, Anagnou N, Pappa KI, Michalodimitrakis E, Ferak V, Furedi S, Komel R, Beckman L, Villems R. The western and eastern roots of the Saami--the story of genetic "outliers" told by mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosomes. Am J Hum Genet. 2004 Apr;74(4):661-82

Tick- born diseases

Molecular studies on Borrelia burgdorferi were started by investigating of percentage of infected ticks in Latvia by PCR amplification of Osp and Fla gene fragments. By molecular typing predominant existence of B.garinii and afzelli  among circulating in Latvia Lyme disease causative agents found. Cloning of definite protein genes in E.coli has been performed and production of proteins obtained. The main goal is to increase their production now in order to obtain some borrelia proteins for further investigations. Presence of Erlichia and tick-born encephalitis virus in the filed collected ticks have been detected.

Key publications

1.      Ranka R.,. Bormane A. Salmina K., Baumanis V. Identification of three clinically relevant Borrelia burgdorferi  sensu lato genospecies by PCR-Restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis in 16S-23S rDNA spacer amplicon. Journal of Clinical Microbiology , 2004, v.42, 1444-1449.

2.      Ranka R., Salmina K., Zygutiene M., Morkunas B., Bormane A., Baumanis V. Prevalence of various Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato species in Ixodes ticks in three Baltic countries. Acta Universitatis Latviensis, 2003,v.662,7-15

3.      Ranka R., Salmina k., Bormane A., Baumanis V. Genetic diversity of Borrelia burgdorferi in Ixodes ricinus and I.persulcatus ticks collected in Latvia. European Journal of Biochemistry, 2002,v.269,s.1,p.86

4.      Bormane A., Lucenko I., Duks A., Mavchoutko V., Ranka R., Salmina K., Baumanis V. Vectors of tick-borne diseases and epidemiological situation in Latvia in 1993-2002. International Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2003, v.293, 36-47.

Team:

Renate Ranka , PhD

Antra Zeltina , M.Sci.

Valentina Chapligina, M.Sci.

Antra Bormane , PhD student, State Health Environmental  Centre

« Last Edit: 19.04.2007 at 13:41:32 by sharip »  
Pages: 1